Periodontal Plastic SurgeryAn Overview
Knoxville TN periodontist Dr. Robert Cain provides comprehensive and personalized diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease and the associated side effects. Our East Tennessee periodontal office provides a range of periodontal procedures for conservative treatment of gum health and aesthetic concerns.
Periodontal Plastic Surgery includes several different procedures that are used to cosmetically restore the gum line. Periodontal plastic surgery can reshape and recontour the gumline for a more aesthetically balanced smile that supports a healthy oral foundation. Periodontal plastic surgery techniques can treat a range of periodontal concerns:
- Add gum tissue around teeth
- Remove gum tissue
- Bring balance between gum to tooth ratio
- Improve the appearance of the teeth and smile
The dental hygienist, Ms. Rowell, was wonderful and done an amazing job. I absolutely loved Dr. Cain and his assistant Tina. I will be back again!Aaron B.
I was very impressed with everyone in the office. Dr. Cain spent time with me and I never felt rushed. He explained my options and was very thorough. When I went to check out I was told the only fee was to write a check for $50.00 to one of…Susanna B.
The whole staff is friendly, efficient and professional - very good visit!Joseph B.
Periodontal Plastic Surgery What to Expect
Periodontist Dr. Robert Cain will provide a thorough oral health exam to determine the best treatment plan for your oral health concerns and cosmetic goals. Depending on the health of your gums and teeth Dr. Cain may recommend a periodontal surgery option to help restore your smile. There are two categories of periodontal plastic surgery procedures:
- Tissue additive
- Tissue subtractive
Patients may need one or more periodontal treatment to achieve optimal oral health.
Tissue Additive Procedures
Tissue additive procedures add soft tissues to areas in the mouth where the gum tissues may have receded. Two procedures Dr. Cain commonly uses to repair receding gums are subepithelial connective tissue grafts and soft tissue allografts.
- Subepithelial Connective Tissue Grafts: Subepithelial grafts add gingival tissue to cover exposed tooth roots. This tissue is transplanted from a small incision in the roof of the patient’s mouth or their palate. The tissue is then surgically implanted in the area of the exposed root. This procedure is a two step treatment.Dr. Cain’s experience and skill set allow for natural and predictable results. Covering exposed tooth roots can help minimize tooth pain and sensitivity as well as prevent future tooth loss of the effected tooth.
- Soft Tissue Allografts: Similar to the subepithelial connective tissue grafts, soft tissue allografts can repair an exposed tooth root or reshape a receding gum line. In a soft tissue allograft, the tissue used is sterile dermal tissue derived from human donors.The advantages of soft tissue allografts are that the patients only requires one procedure and doe not have to graft their own tissue. Soft tissue allografts also allow for more teeth to be repaired at once as Dr. Cain is not limited by the amount of tissue he can remove from the platelet.
Tissue Subtractive Procedures
Tissue subtractive procedures remove and reshape excess gum tissue often referred to as a “gummy smile”. Tissue subtractive procedures can restore the balance and aesthetics to your teeth and gums. The two main tissue subtractive procedures are gingivectomy and esthetic crown lengthening.
- Gingivectomy: A gingivectomy is a procedure used to remove excess tissue covering the tooth surface. This tissue build up is also commonly referred to as gingival hyperplasia. Orthodontic appliances, certain medications, and genetics can all cause gingival hyperplasia.Dr. Cain performs the gingivectomy procedure using noninvasive lasers. The state of the art technology can remove excess tissue and recontour the shape and thickness of the gum line. In most cases, no sutures are required allowing for minimal down time and optimal comfort.
- Esthetic Crown Lengthening: Esthetic crown lengthening is generally used to remove excess gum tissue from the crown of the tooth. Crown lengthening can restore the gum to tooth ratio for a more balanced and beautiful smile.Dr. Cain is highly experienced in the crown lengthening procedure and provides constant and natural looking results.Dr. Cain will measure the teeth and gum tissue to determine the ideal height and width of the teeth. Dr. Cain uses his artistic sensibility and carefully created models and diagnostic waxings to build a beautiful and natural looking smile.During treatment, Dr. Cain will provide sedation dentistry so you may feel relaxed and comfortable during treatment. Small incisions are made around the gum tissue and teeth. Dr. Cain then uses a special tooth to gently push the gum line back to expose the tooth crown. Downtime tends to be minimal and patients can enjoy immediate results.