If you avoid visiting the dentist due to anxiety or fear, you are not alone. Thousands of people ignore their dental health because of dental anxiety. Dr. Cain understands that these are real fears, and provides Non-IV conscious sedation options in Knoxville, TN so patients may receive the dental care they deserve.
Avoiding dental treatment can significantly raise your risk of developing gum disease, tooth loss, and other complex dental concerns. When left untreated, even minor or cosmetic dental problems can escalate, requiring more advanced dental restorations.
Poor oral health has also been linked to systemic health concerns such as cardiovascular disease, inflammation, hypertension, and diabetes. Your oral health has a direct link to your overall health, and taking care of your gums and teeth can help you live a healthier life.
Dental Anxiety Solutions in Knoxville, TN
Our dental health care team works together to identify your fears and address them on a personal basis. We want you to feel prepared and confident going into your dental treatment. We will work together to build an oral health plan that fits your personal needs.
If you chose to receive a Non-IV conscious sedation option, Dr. Cain will discuss your medical history, lifestyle, and concerns so that she can provide the Non-IV Conscious sedation option that is right for you. Conscious sedation enables patients to stay alert and responsive during their procedure while your body and mind remain calm and relaxed.
- Oral conscious sedation: oral sedation is administered in pill form and will require you to have an escort to and from your appointment. In some cases, an at home dose is prescribed to speed the process and ensure you are completely relaxed. It will take several hours for this medication to completely wear off.
- Nitrous oxide: also known as “laughing gas”, nitrous oxide is an inhaled sedation that takes effect and wears off immediately. A small cannula placed beneath the nose will deliver the odorless, tasteless gas for a calm, relaxing procedure experience.
How to Cope With Dental Anxiety
- Talk about it with your dentist. Dr. Cain fosters a judgement-free dentist office environment. We are here to help. Tell us about your anxiety and fears before your visit, so that we can do our best to make you feel comfortable during your visit.
- Bring a good friend or family member with you to your first visit. They know you and can help you cope, and even alleviate your fears by just having them with you.
- Ask us anything! A common way to alleviate dental fear and anxiety is to learn all you can about the process and treatments before you get them. A better understanding can help you realize that it’s not that bad.
Schedule A Dental Exam Today
Whether you need a dental cleaning or dental implants, our Knoxville dentist office can provide quality dental care in a calm and relaxing setting. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Cain in our Knoxville, TN dentist office. We welcome new patients and serve many Knoxville area communities. Contact our office or request an appointment online.