Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection of the gum tissue. If left untreated, periodontal disease can compromise the structure and integrity of the jaw bone, gum tissue, and teeth. In advanced stages of periodontal disease patients may lose one or more teeth. Periodontal disease has also been linked to serious health concerns like oral cancer, heart disease, and stroke.
Finding healthy ways to improve your gum and oral health can help minimize your chance of developing gum disease. Try adding these key tips to your daily routine to help prevent gum disease.
- Brush your teeth after each meal. Brushing helps remove plaque and bacteria from sticking to the teeth. Patients should also brush or scrape their tongue to help remove bacteria.
- Floss at least once a day. Flossing removes food particles and debris from between the teeth. Flossing helps remove bacteria that brushing cannot reach.
- Don’t forget t use mouthwash. Incorporating mouthwash into your daily oral hygiene routine can help reduce plaque buildup.
- Quit smoking. Smoking and tobacco use can contribute to the development of gum disease. Patients who smoke are also a higher risk of developing oral cancer, tooth decay, and other complex dental problems.
- Visit a highly trained periodontist. Dr. Robert Cain of East Tenessee Periodontics offers a full range of periodontal therapy services to address various stage of gum disease. As a skilled periodontist, Dr. Cain can develop a personalized solution to address all your oral health needs. Visting the dentist regularly allows Dr. Cain to spot any early signs of gum disease. Be sure yo=to schedule biannual preventive care exams.
Schedule An Appointment
If you would like to schedule a routine dental exam, visit East Tennesse Periodontics in Knoxville, TN. Dr. Cain offers comprehensive periodontics, periodontal surgeries, cosmetic treatments and short-term orthodontics for addressing a wide range of dental concerns. To schedule an appointment, call (865) 280-1173 or request an appointment online.