While having extra gum tissue showing when you smile isn’t necessarily a risk to your oral health, if it makes you unhappy with your appearance, you can benefit from treatment for a gummy smile in Knoxville, TN. Dr. Robert Cain is a periodontist offering cosmetic periodontics using laser dentistry to help you feel more confident when you smile. Learn more about the different gummy smile treatments available below.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
There are several reasons why you may have a gummy smile, also called an excessive gingival display:
- Incorrect jaw bone alignment: The jaw bone may extend further than it should, causing the gums to look longer.
- Upper lip muscles: You may have overactive upper lip muscles that pull your lip up too high when smiling, showing more of your gums underneath.
- Abnormal tooth development: Teeth may not extend far enough beyond the gum line but are actually the normal length.
How to Treat A Gummy Smile
Since there are many reasons why someone may have a gummy smile, there are different treatments available for gummy smile treatment:
- Crown Lengthening: This procedure requires the removal of gum tissue and bone to allow the gums to retract to the appropriate position and reveal more of the tooth structure. This treatment may be performed when the teeth are not fully erupted.
- Laser Gum Contouring: This procedure can effectively remove excess gum tissues using dental lasers. Patients can achieve their ideal smile with minimal bleeding, faster healing, and natural looking results.
- Gum Lift/Gingivectomy: A gum lift, clinically called a gingivectomy, is a common cosmetic procedure used to reduce excess gum tissue. In this procedure, we use advanced dental lasers to gently remove excess gum tissue and reshape the gum line to create an aesthetically pleasing smile.
Knoxville, TN Laser Dentistry for Gummy Smile
The right treatment depends on an accurate diagnosis based on an individual evaluation of your smile. Schedule your appointment online or call our office at 865.276.7173 to start restoring balance to your smile.