Sedation DentistryAn Overview
Our practice in Knoxville, TN offers a variety of sedation options for patients who may suffer from dental anxiety, as well as for patients undergoing any complex dental procedure. It is important to us that patients feel relaxed and comfortable during their dental procedure, which why we offer sedation options like Conscious Sedation and IV Sedation. Each sedation treatment lets patients remain calm during their procedure and focus on the end result rather than the anxiety or pain they may feel. Patients may benefit from sedation dentistry if they:
- want comfort during their procedure
- suffer from sensitive gag reflex
- have issues with getting numb
- have tooth sensitivity
- want to reduce any fear or anxiety
Periodontist Dr. Robert Cain has over 20 years of experience performing oral surgery, especially for patients suffering from the effects of gum disease. Using advanced technology, we provide comprehensive care for your smile in a warm, compassionate setting. Our staff works with patients one-to-one, ensuring that you feel calm, relaxed and confident during your treatment or procedure.
Sedation Dentistry What to Expect
Many patients avoid going to the dentist because they are in fear. When patients avoid going to the dentist, complex problems can begin to develop.The key to treating and diagnosing dental problems is catching them early enough to avoid any complex treatment. Patients shouldn’t let fear be the reason they avoid getting their teeth treated. Whether you suffer from dental fear or are in need of a dental procedure, we offer a few options to make your procedure relaxing and pain-free. Dr. Cain will help decide which sedation option is best for you during a pre-procedure consultation.
- Oral Sedation Dentistry: Oral sedation is administered as a pill. After the pill is administered, patients will remain conscious but will not feel any pain. If needed, nitrous oxide is given in conjunction with oral sedation. Most patients report falling into a sleep-like state, which allows for Dr. Cain to gently go in and perform the much-needed procedure.Once the procedure is completed, most patients do not remember anything regarding their procedure, despite being awake throughout the procedure.
- Nitrous Oxide or Laughing Gas: Nitrous oxide is considered one of the safest and effective forms of sedation. Nitrous oxide is administered through a specially made mask and takes effect rather quickly. Nitrous oxide is only effective with the mask on, once removed the effects diminish quickly. Nitrous oxide allows Dr. Cain to skillfully complete a dental procedure while patients remain conscious, relaxed, and comfortable.
IV sedation is only performed in facilities with a specially licensed dentist. To ensure the health of our patients, we monitor vital signs throughout the procedure just in case any adjustments need to be made. Depending on a number of different factors, we will alter the dosage to ensure your safety and that you are relaxed during the entire procedure.
IV sedation will be administered directly into the bloodstream, causing patients to feel the effects very quickly. Patients will feel like they are in a deep sleep, without actually falling asleep, and usually won’t remember anything about their procedure. It is important to have a ride home after any appointment where IV sedation is administered.