One of the most often misunderstood dental procedures is the dental crown. Dentists use dental crowns to avoid a tooth extraction when teeth are badly damaged, cracked, misshapen, or to seal a tooth after a root canal. Crowns restore the appearance, function, and preserve the health of a damaged tooth. Dr. Pamela Cain is a Knoxville, TN family dentist dedicated to helping patients protect their natural teeth. In fact, we proudly offer same-day dental crowns using CEREC technology so you can quickly get back to your regular activities.
How Do Dental Crowns Work?
Crowns fit over the top of a damaged tooth to protect the sensitive tissue inside. The damaged tooth is prepared and then the crown is cemented on top, holding it together to keep the natural tooth from breaking apart.
Dental crowns are constructed of durable materials such as porcelain, resin, or a composite material that is strong enough to endure the trauma of chewing. After a crown is cemented to the top of the tooth, it becomes part of the tooth.
When Are Dental Crowns Used?
A dental crown may be recommended or placed for a wide range of reasons:
- After a root canal
- Final restoration of a dental implant
- Discolored tooth
- Misshapen tooth
- Damaged tooth
- Decayed tooth
Same-Day Dental Crowns in Knoxville, TN
Dental crowns are custom fitted to each patient’s teeth, and in the past had to be designed in a lab. Now, Dr. Cain offers same day dental crowns, where digital pictures of your mouth and a special machine are used to create the crown for your tooth. This technology is called CEREC and it offers several key benefits:
- Digital impressions provide more accurate treatment planning and less discomfort than traditional methods
- 3-D imagery creates multi-dimensional images of the mouth, allowing the dentist to design the restoration with precision
- CEREC creates high-quality porcelain and zirconia dental crowns for a durable, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing results
- Restorations can be done in a single office visit, eliminating the need for uncomfortable temporary crowns or multiple office visits
Schedule a Dental Crown Consultation in Knoxville
You don’t have to live with discomfort from a damaged tooth. Dental crowns, when created with CEREC, offer you a more comfortable and healthy smile in just one office visit. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Cain online or call us at (865) 219-3622 today.